Thursday, November 27, 2008

Olympic Guy a Day!

Did someone say Gymnasts? No? Well here are a few gymnasts anyway. I'm sorry to say I didn't get all their names. The photos on which all of these are based were all labelled "Olympics". 




I tried to cartoon these guys a little but I can see in the Parallel Bars that I was a little too slavish to the photo. It's an incredible pose and I really wanted to include every flexed muscle. That stomache was so...grrr!!!

We're now caught up to the Alexander Despatie drawings posted on the 19th and 20th. Whew! Feels good. The next set is going to include a few older Olympiads and some fitness models. I've been linked to some really inspiring athletes (Al Oerter, Jason Lezak, and Jared Connaughton).

In other news, I recently saw A Chorus Line here in Toronto. I tell you, a dancer's body is truly a thing of beauty...both male and female. I find that when I go to a show I pick my favourite performers (usually by build :) and keep an eye on them throughout the show. I wish I could sit there in the audience with my sketchbook at hand to record all the great poses. 

best,
j.

6 comments:

leemajors555 said...

ok, it's not enough that you draw ridiculously hot guys (frequently barefoot which I love), then you do a whole issue of Superfriends (nice job), but now I read that you also make yarn Superheroes??!! I'm moving to Toronto and marrying you:)

When do we get to see more of your "Man's Adventure" strip?

j. said...

Leemajor555 - Did you see that Wizard article or read it on my other blog? I'll be posting some of my yarn guys here soon...I'll just tease a little and tell you that I've made a JV doll.
Happily we could actually be married in Toronto (my sympathies to my west coast American gay friends). But I must tell you that my boyfriend might have a thing or to to say about me marrying another man :)

best,
j.

musclsvg said...

Each one of these drawings shows a unique point of view. The first with the gymnast incorporating some "Thomas Flair" into his floor exercise. The second with the forced perspective as the athlete comes paralell to the floor in his rings dismount. The strong inverted symmetry of the handstand on the paralell bars. Finally, the arch of the high jumper's torso as he clears the bar and displays an impressive package. They all capture a split second in a very hot and unique way. I'd say each scores a "Perfect 10". Way to go Bone!!!

leemajors555 said...

LOL, ok J no marriage proposals! Yeah I saw your yarn heroes in Wizard, and they look so cool:) I think I want to take a class! I was never that good at sculpture either. What pray tell is this other blog of which you speak? Is it more of an "industry/comics" blog. I'm only interested to see what work you post there. Anyway, thanks for your awesome blog and sharing your ENORMOUS *ahem* talent:)

Writer said...

You have another blog? Where, where? I too think that you are awesome and am slowly realizing (from the amount of blogs I read from guys from Toronto) that Toronto must be gay Mecca. I have a friend there Andy who keeps trying to get me to move. Hmm. I see his point.

j. said...

Musclsvg - Many thanks for the cheers and hurrahs! But I cannot take full credit for the excellence of the poses. I photo referenced every one of these. My only contribution is in the interpretation of the photo. I do try to "push" the pose and the shapes but most of the work is done for me.

Leemajor555 - I now have three seperate blogs. This one for the Beef, www.gobukan.blogspot.com for
the Cheese (and more kid friendly work) and www.bonesyarn.blogspot.com for the yarn sculptures.
Crocheting was fairly simple to learn. I actually took all my lessons from Youtube videos. Some videos had to be watched over and over again before I caught on but once I did the craft was simple. Creating new patterns wasn't always easy, either, but moves faster with practice.

Writer - See above response to Lee Major for more blog info. I must say as a resident, that I like Toronto's gay-bourhood. It's comprised of a few blocks all on the same street which makes barhopping and/or restaurant choice super easy. It's also easier to cruise/guy watch when everyone's in one area :)

We're coming up on winter which I don't like at all...but otherwise I must say that I quite enjoy living in Toronto.

best,
j.