Thursday, September 03, 2009

Toronto Fan Expo 2009!


This past weekend was the Toronto Fan Expo comic book convention. I was set up with three feet of table space, my sketchpad, a bunch of comic books and a bushel full of enthusiasm! I always love meeting the fans of Darwyn's work and mine, signing books and drawing. But this year I met quite a few fans of this here blog...and that was pretty darned cool.

The above drawings were done as commissioned pieces, finished before the convention. I don't take commissions...unless there's an upcoming con where I can personally hand over the art. The few times I've mailed out art it was for a European collector.
The drawing of Wolverine is for the Shuster awards charity auction. I pencilled it while staying with Darwyn for a weekend. He masterfully inked it up and it's now in the hands of the Shuster dudes. We were definitely being cheeky by handing in a Beefcake shot of Marvel's hottest Canadian hero. But, hey, there are plenty of female fans and they don't always get eye candy to enjoy. :)

Lastly, but not leastly, my dear friend G. ;) sent me a link to a site that recently featured me. So check out Fleshbot and see what Brian O'Brien had to say about my stuff! Thanks, Brian.

best,
j.
p.s. I'm off camping this weekend...at an all-male campground. I've never been but I'm looking forward to lots of beefy men who'll let me draw them in my sketchbook! Excited!

5 comments:

musclsvg said...

Great set of graphics. Especially the Kryptonian. Don't get me wrong, I'll always go for the cape, the tights and the red speedo. However, to see the "strange visitor from another planet" in work boots, snug fitting denim that hugs his quads and package and a tight T-shirt stretched across his massive chest while the short sleeves cap a set of monster guns is HOT!!! I like the way he's hovering against the skyline. This gets my vote to be the next balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Glad to hear you're getting away for a bit. The resort sounds really interesting. Hope you have a great time in the wood! To be amongst the trees sounds nice too.

matt said...

love ur superboy! love to see you take on all the titan guys

j. said...

Musclsvg - I was definitely out in the woods! :) Plenty of naked flesh, some gorgeous men, and several willing models. Oh, why did I not hear of this camp until now!?! I'll be updating on Thursday with drawings from my sketchbook.

Matt - Titans are hotties, no doubt. I'll see what I can do about drawing a pin-up of the boys!

best,
j.

deviantboy said...

Where is this camp? Sounds really hot..

It was great to meet you in Toronto at Fan Expo and I love LOVE my Superboy commish...

and I just got my Legion of Super-Pets Cover from Albert Moy...Love it!!!

Raymond

j. said...

deviantboy - Hey, Ray. I posted a link to the campsite in my recent update. It was a fun time, for sure. I'm hoping the weather stays nice so I can go back at least once more this season.

Thanks again for buying all that artwork! Happy to hear that you love it! :)

best,
j.