Monday, February 01, 2010

Drawing on Napkins!

When I'm out at the bar and I've forgotten or not wanted to carry along a sketchbook, and I see someone who's face I'd really like to draw I have very few options! At a bar, at least, there are always napkins. I've drawn on a lot of napkins. I've learned the lighter, more delicate touch required when drawing on flimsy, absorbent paper with a felt tip marker. How to cross-hatch just enough to get a dark area but not so much that I soak through the layers of paper and tear a giant hole through my drawing. And I've done all of this while nicely sauced on double-short rum and cokes!

For those of you keeping track of my growing bold/adventurous nature I will tell you that I spoke to "Anthony", introducing myself and telling him that I thought he was quite handsome.
Going through my old pictures the other day I found some really nice shots I'd taken of Josh (nearly a year ago now). This one in particular was something I'd always wanted to get down on paper. I've only had time so far to do this rough but I like how his profile turned out.

It's a shame drawing on napkins doesn't pay the bills (or my bar tab).
j.

9 comments:

Lou W said...

And? What was Anthony's response???

You can't leave us hanging like that!

j. said...

Lou - Didn't mean to leave you hanging :) Anthony thanked me and I returned to my friends, and he to his. My aim was only an introduction and once achieved I was satisfied.

j.

Jason said...

San Francisco bars typically have small pads (or scraps) of paper and pens along the counter. Really handy for sketching. Or, y'know, getting someone's phone number...

j. said...

Jason - Some Toronto bars do that as well. In fact Woody's has cards on most of the bars with a space for your name, number and e-mail address. The other side is an ad -- not enough blank space to draw on, sadly.

j.

Lou W said...

J--time to make your own "blank" cards to bring with you to the bars (with space for your name and number on the back, of course..)

Javier said...

Valentine's Day is coming. Will we be getting anything Valentine-y?

j. said...

Lou - Ah, but then I have to carry something with me and I'm back where I started (carrying around a sketchbook). Naturally, I've got business cards on me but I'm usually drawing to take "notes" for drawing up later -- not necessarily to give away the drawings.

Javier - I may be able to pull something out last minute! I do like to make Valentine's cards. Hmmm...

best,
j.

Jon Carl Lewis said...

i love your rendering of josh. so natural, so alive without contrivance. and such great economy.

buff said...

Hell, years ago, some economist dude drew a graph on a bar napkin, and while faulty, became a standard for a while.

I definitely like your use of napkins way better. WOOF